Sunday, December 02, 2007

December: Solstice Approaches


Ravens, Bryce Canyon
photo by Jack





A
h, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor. Eagerly I wished the morrow; - vainly I had sought to borrow From my books surcease of sorrow...

Edgar Alan Poe, The Raven

Listen:

Segment 5
01:26:27"The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe, GK and Rich Dworsky, piano
From Prairie Home Companion


Winter Solstice approaches. It is a time to face death, literal and figurative. This year, the end of 2007, we face the end of a host of
campaigners for 2008. And the journalist ravens are gathering for the spoils. They are eager to pick the candidates' bones clean. Raven George Will , saying "nevermore," predicts that voting for Huckabee in Iowa will put Giuliani in power in February. Peggy Noonan raves about Obama, saying the voters want judgment, not experience, ...evermore.
Could these Ravens have their own motives?


Politics aside, December presents us with war, drought, economic uncertainty, a cold forecast indeed. This very day, ice and snow sweep Iowa.

To return to Poe,


And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
`'Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door -
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; -
This it is, and nothing more,'

What visitor shall become our next leader? This Winter will be the Decider of who will be glorious this summer, and who will be the fruit of autumn, 2008. Luscious prospects, or a beloved nation, nevermore?



Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment