Thursday, November 02, 2006

Winds of Change

What good news. Nancy Pelosi is going to be the next Speaker of the House of Reps.

And New Jersey is the latest state to affirm gay rights, albeit with the reservation that same sex couples deserve equal rights whatever they are called.

That is fine with me.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn what it's called. Civil Union is fine. I shall have a civil, and we can making being civils what we want. Why not have an alternative relationship just so long as it has the same rights and privileges as marriage does.

Letter to the AJC: Mon. Oct. 30:

To suit everyone, call it 'civil unions'

The ruling of the New Jersey Supreme Court that gay couples deserve the same rights as heterosexual couples reveals how difficult it is to give up old prejudices ("N.J. court backs gay rights," News, Oct. 26).

The word "marriage" is too politically charged and filled with religious meaning to be applied equally. So use another word; call gay relationships civil unions. It's the solution Vermont came up with six years ago. If that makes heterosexuals more secure and happy, that is fine with me. I'll call my husband my civil partner, or invent some new word. The rights are what matter, whether hospital visiting rights, joint taxes, inheritance, or Social Security rights.

Legal recognition of my 16-year union is far more important to me than calling my relationship marriage. A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet.

JACK MILLER, Atlanta


The election approaches. I don't fool myself that the Democrats have the answers. I just know that they do not bow quite as low to the oil companies, the drug companies, the insurance industry, and the religious zealots as the Repubs.
The Dems may just help end the carnage in Iraq, as well.


This past week we were in Albuquerque. (click)

This week is GISA in Dillard. In November we fly to San Juan and in December, San Francisco for X-mas- New Years.


Dar will tour Ancient Egypt (click for the tour) in January, 2007. Here's hope for a better year, then.

Happy Trails.

Jameson

No comments:

Post a Comment