Saturday, February 02, 2019

What Tribe Are You?


Elizabeth Warren, Native American blood, or not? A governor from Virginia, whether in Blackface  (click) or a KKK costume-- or neither--racist or not? 

Above: Dance to the Berdache Sac and Fox Nation ceremonial dance to celebrate the two-spirit person. George Catlin (1796–1872); Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_history)

Americans, generally, hate-filled or not? Humanity itself, torn by ethnic hatred, religious hatred, nationalism, and the sense of racial superiority... or not? 

Before I write another sentence, I want to make it clear that I love all the races and I love diversity, in many cases in my life, literally love them. What's not to love?

Peg me white if that makes you happy. It means nothing to me. Peg me Japanese or Zapotec. The tribe to which I belong is Rainbow, as I see it. Drive-by bigots have called me Faggot as I walked with a friend in Atlanta; friends who are straight have also called me a faggot and I laughed. I have not taken taboo words seriously since Lamont Washington sang Colored Spade (listen) in Hair.  The lovers I have had in my queer tribe have died from suicide, AIDS, and murder (the defense in the last case was fear of a queer.) I have only one external indicator of my racial heritage: a book on my Mother's uncle's family name tracing back to Henry II of England, who was indeed a member of my tribe. The book made me laugh out loud. It went on to sketch the lineage back to Noah. From whom am I descended?  from Sappho, from Socrates, Alexander, Hadrian, Leonardo da Vinci, Oscar Wilde, Lorca, James Baldwin, Mishima, Eleanor Roosevelt, and millions of gays who suffered extreme persecution for centuries (and still do)

Yet, even in my gay identity, I have given up the hubris, the pride in who I am. Ask not who you are descended from in any sense, literal or spiritual, and ask instead what you have done for humanity, what you have accomplished. Will you be leaving the world better for your existence, or not?  Judge yourself not based on the color of your skin, your sexual preference, your gender or genderlessness; judge yourself based on your character and your actions.



A woman spying on a pair of male lovers. China, Qing Dynasty.
Wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment