Saturday, January 28, 2006

Amadeus Mozart


STEPHEN KOVACEVICH's


performance tonight transported me to the 18th Century and the universe of Amadeus Mozart. For a moment I sat again in The Theatre of the Estates in Prague where Darryl and I heard Don Giovanni from our private box.

Prague: photo by Jameson



The Atlanta Symphony's celebration of Mozart's 250th birthday was a success: The soon-to-be-abandoned hall filled to capacity. I was fortunate to have front row center seat in the balcony, nothing between me and the music.

It is wonderful that in our world of non-stop noise, terrorism, violence, and nervous energy, there is a person who can play the music of Mozart with such brilliance and perfection. Koveacevich was born in 1940, and yet he can still command every note of two different piano concertos, the 24th and the 25th. It was sublime to experience such harmony.


--Jameson

No comments:

Post a Comment